Tuesday, November 7, 2017

November 12-19, 2017

Daily Devotional Guide




Tending the Lamp

We take light and electricity for granted.
All we do is flip a switch and our space is bathed in light.
Imagine the work of tending to lamps
and the consequences of being caught in the darkness.
The parable of the ten maidens speaks of preparedness and outcome.
This illustration is more about our inner light, salvation, and peace
than it is about the oil for a lamp. What are you not tending to in your life
to keep your inner light ablaze and darkness at bay?

VISIO DIVINA is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul
 to connect with God through images.
Take time to study the picture and consider what the Holy Spirit
 is communicating to you through shape, feeling, light and texture.

How does this representation of Matthew 25: 1-13 reach into your heart?
How does the play of light, texture, content speak to you?
Is God showing you something in this image that is relevant to your life today?
Is faith, joy, mercy, justice, God, Christ, Spirit witnessed to in this image?
What is the figure in the sky? Does it change the context of the wedding?

Prayer

MORNING    prayer music
     Lord of morning light and bird songs of love and hope,
 I come to center myself in your grace and peace.
The day before me pulls me to rush in my prayers.
Ease my worries, still the demands upon me
and focus my spirit upon your son, this gift of perfect love.
Awaken me to your presence and the importance of
your guidance and comfort for my life.
 Seek my inner spaces and impart within me
the yearning to serve in love all your people. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.


Group Work

     Who ever thought that group work was ever a positive learning experience?
Yes, there is a lesson to learn about the dynamics of working with others to achieve a goal or purpose.
Unfortunately, it is a lesson about those who work toward achievement and those
who sit back to ride the grade train. It has always been to me, my children,
and other students, youth to adult, a symphony of frustration to the lack
of commitment to partners in the group, the ability to meet,
 and just plain ol’ group members who won’t participate.
     Our faith is not something we can sit back and allow others to carry for us.
We must do our work to get the grade. Faith is an active life consuming, challenging
 and transforming endeavor. It is a gift given and responded to.
We can’t lift excuses not to meet with God, read scripture, pray, and worship.
It is all necessary. The parable of the maidens casts a symbolic darkness upon
 those who have not done their work. They must go back
and in so doing they miss the wedding. Their wedding to Christ and eternal glory.



DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture. 



Virtues for Prayer Each Day of The Week:

love of God- Sunday                  self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
love of neighbor -Monday          resignation and meekness -  Thursday
humility -Tuesday                      and thanksgiving - Saturday
                                                          Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice
       of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help
       your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand,
       change, make, explore…...

BENEDICTION
    Lord, I pray your divine spirit that resides within the center of my being is
the light and path that I follow through all that comes before me in this day.
I pray for the eyes to see your glory around me in all I see
 and all the people I encounter. May I be also your light to them. Amen

DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer,
release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina
 and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.  Will a song bring
peace and stillness and focus upon the divine?  Holy Spirit Muse Divine


     Lord of the stillness, the whispered voice, silent smoke, and peaceful beams of light,
I pause to experience, to hear your voice upon my soul. Remove the needless from me,
the empty, the trite, fill me with life, glory, peace, and the purity of love for you,
 Christ, your world, your children that I may love the image within me you have created. Amen

EVENING
Gracious father, teacher, mentor, open me to your loving correction.
Keep me focused upon the reality of who I am,
and who you are transforming me to be.
Awake an inner truth and honesty of myself that I may grow
and transform in your grace, Amen

Questions for Day that has Past

Did I take time to be in prayer with God and to be thankful for his mercies and blessings?
What are my goals tomorrow to be more connected to the Divine?
Did I in some way share the beauty of God to others through my words or actions?
Was I generous with my time and resources?
Did I challenge myself in faith?
Did I grow in love for God and others today?
Did I extend the forgiveness that I desire to receive?
Did I take time to be present and enjoy all God has provided?
Did I sing, create, or dedicate some act of praise to God?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*     prayer music

BENEDICTION
As the day departs, night descends, weariness takes hold of my thoughts and body
I come before you Lord. I entrust my vulnerabilities to you as I seek to sleep in peace.
I confess to you all that I have failed to achieve in your divine love.
In your mercy and gracious compassion forgive me this day.

Bring me all that I need to rest and in renewed grace love more fully tomorrow. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home