Tuesday, October 24, 2017

October 15-22


Daily Devotional Guide

October 15th-22nd, 2017





Matthew 22:1-14
I don’t want to go!
We are reminded in this parable of
our ability to be ungrateful and self-absorbed. The king issues a summons for those he calls to the wedding banquet for his son. Yet the guests find excuses not to attend and go so far as to kill the messengers. These “guests” will now live in squalor and outcasts by order of the king. The people of the streets good and bad are called to the feast. As the king surveys the crowd he notices one man, not dressed appropriately. This seeker of favor does not wear the inner light, the cloak of love, a humble and contrite spirit. He too will live his days in despair and separate from the glorious feast. Do we accept and heed God’s invitation of grace, do we in our new life begun in the Holy Spirit wear the correct attitude?
Do we find excuses not to attend, participate, serve, and love? Think about what you are missing in your life as you refuse to worship and grow in community and praise. What would it mean for you to respond to God and grow daily in love?


DAILY BIBLE READING

Meditate on scripture: return to the scripture that has resounded within you today. Hold it, look at it, ponder, meditate, and contemplate what it means for you, in your mind, heart, and actions. Take your time, make notes and think about what God is telling you today. Read as little or as much as you need to center in God’s inspiration for you. Too much in one sitting? Try New Testament in the Morning and OT at night.


One Year Bible
Daily Chronological Bible




PRAYERS


MORNING
The morning begins like so many before.
Sleep fades and thoughts of the day, responsibilities, tasks, lists flood my mind. God of this day and moment, I awake to your glory and love. I seek your presence and power to live this day in love with you and others. Open my heart and destroy my hesitations so that I may be completely present to you. Teach me and challenge me in my work, my study, my relationships, and my rest. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Will You….?
Little children are so demanding. They need help with everything. Literally everything.  I think of the times when the little ones in my life refused to listen and respect what I asked of them. After years of doing for them without hesitation that moment when consideration is not returned is devastating. My lesson to them has been to explain that I have choices too.
What if I decided to say no? What if I decided not to feed you, get you this, or do that?
As adults are we any better in terms of our faith and faithful practices. When in our trivial self-absorption we avoid worship to sleep later, don’t give our offerings to buy a trinket, serve, pray, read scripture etc. have we matured beyond our four-year-old selves? What if God decided not to provide, to bring the sun to shine, to calm your heart, answer your prayer, forgive your sins?

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING

VIRTUES FOR PRAYER EACH DAY OF THE WEEK: 
love of God (Sunday), 
love of neighbor (Monday), 
humility (Tuesday), 
self-denial (Wednesday and Friday), 
resignation and meekness (Thursday), 
and thanksgiving (Saturday). 
Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
  * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…... 

BENEDICTION
I return from prayer to connect to the day. Father
I am grateful and overwhelmed by your love and our connection
in prayer. Lead me forward to be your love, to see others in your
perspective of love, forgiveness, and compassion. You bless me with
beauty and joy. Amen

DAYTIME 
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, 
release your burdens, be thankful. Recall the readings of 
this day and contemplate how they are affecting your day.

Lord of time and all creation, I stop to wait in your presence.
I breathe in the silence and hear all the activity around me. I pray
Your grace finds all who I encounter and it brings them closer
to you and your power. I surrender my ego, and my work to you.
I realize it is you that provide all things and it is I who in humility 
accept your divine gifts. May I use them to your glory today. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past
1. Did I take time to be in prayer with God and to be thankful for his mercies and blessings? 
2. What are my goals tomorrow to be more connected to the Divine?
3. Did I in some way share the beauty of God to others through my words or actions? 
4. Was I generous with my time and resources?
5. Did I challenge myself in faith?
6. Did I grow in love for God and others today? 
7. Did I extend the forgiveness that I desire to receive? 
8. Did I take time to be present and enjoy all God has provided?
9. Did I sing, be creative, or dedicate some act of praise to God?
ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

BENEDICTION

Lord of night and forgiving grace, I release all the disappointment,
frustrations, and regrets I acquired today. I lay down my judgments, persecutions, and self-criticisms to your power to enlightenment me to truth and love. Restore me to know your peace and grace through all that I am, that I may sleep and dream of beauty and love. Amen


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home