Tuesday, October 17, 2017

October 22-29, 2017



DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE OCTOBER 22-29, 2017





http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/02/01/44F1171900000578-4939416-image-a-1_1506902424783.jpg



Matthew 22: 15-22
It’s Magic!
When I was a young girl my family and I went to see a magician named Doug Henning.  I remember being drawn into the performance of wonder and amazement as illusion after illusion seemed to defy the laws of the physical world. In our scripture we encounter leaders of the church becoming astounded by Jesus. Not by some illusion or trick, but through his insight.  We can tend to think of God as our own personal magician and desire that he transform the world and bring to us all we desire. The word amazed in the Greek can mean to introduce serious contemplation and thought. Give some thought to God as one who inspires serious thought, contemplation, and insight that will transform the heart to love and serve. That is magical and amazing.

MORNING

Prayer
Father of all creation the days are becoming shorter and the night a greater presence. I find hope and courage as the sun rises and light dispels all of the night before. I enter my time with you casting out all my darkness and seeking your light of grace and wonder. Open me, slay me, rebuild me today through your word and spirit. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.   Upper Room

Today I ponder all the natural disasters that seem to be destroying our world. Hurricanes, tornados, and fires are taking their toll upon our physical world. These destructions are of the world that man has built. Homes, communities, and monuments are glories to man, not God. In the aftermath of these events the precious realization is thankfulness to remain alive with friends and family spared. God has created the earth to continue creating. Forests will grow again; tides and water will recede.  I welcome you to ponder with me what this means, as we work to help those who have been displaced, rebuild communities and infrastructure what is it we need to rebuild in our own lives and communities.? Is it that sense pf precious thankfulness, an attitude of forgiveness, acceptance, or a renewal of our faith commitment to grow. Is it a new energy for service in truth and justice in God’s grace?

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING


VIRTUES FOR PRAYER EACH DAY OF THE WEEK:

love of God (Sunday),
love of neighbor (Monday),
humility (Tuesday),
self-denial (Wednesday and Friday),
resignation and meekness (Thursday),
and thanksgiving (Saturday).
Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT

      * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice
       of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help
       your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand,
       change, make, explore…...

BENEDICTION
Holy Lord of all grace and mercy, I am but a child in understanding your ways and love. Lead me to live in deeper realization of your truth and power that I may become the image of your love to others. Inspire my heart to share my love for you as I do with the excitement of human love. Guide my steps from harm and hurting others, but lead me only in strength of faith and in your grace. Amen


DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer,
release your burdens, be thankful. Recall the readings of
this day and contemplate how they are affecting your day.

Father of my life I breathe in your presence as one drowning in this world of stress and busyness. I stop to gain perspective of this day and align priorities for effectiveness and success. Bring me focus, and peace in my work, and in my leisure. Guide my steps in love and in selflessness.  Amen

EVENING
Lord of my everything I come to you to discern my day. Open my understandings and lead my goals to grow in holy love. Let my awareness be constructive and life giving as I seek to live more fully in your love. Amen

Questions for Day that has Past
1. Did I take time to be in prayer with God and to be thankful for his mercies and blessings?
2. What are my goals tomorrow to be more connected to the Divine?
3. Did I in some way share the beauty of God to others through my words or actions?
4. Was I generous with my time and resources?
5. Did I challenge myself in faith?
6. Did I grow in love for God and others today?
7. Did I extend the forgiveness that I desire to receive?
8. Did I take time to be present and enjoy all God has provided?
9. Did I sing, be creative, or dedicate some act of praise to God?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

BENEDICTION
Beautiful creator, lead me to sleep in gratefulness and peace. Bring to my thoughts the gentle moments of this day. The moments of beauty and sweetness. Take from me my confessions and regrets and let them pass from me as I trust you, Christ, and spirit. Bless me with dreams of love, beauty, and strength that I may awake in greater love and purpose in your grace. Amen


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home