Tuesday, October 3, 2017

October 8-15

Daily Devotional Guide
October 8th-15th, 2017


https://i.pinimg.com/236x/27/32/7d/27327d411e7ac9139a7ccdc8d7a9981f--colour-red-philadelphia-pa.jpg


Matthew 21:33-46  

Are fences designed to keep things in, or something out?
We know that they can do both. As a church are we serving Christ or are we building barriers? We must be careful in our understanding of scripture. The vineyard is always God’s.
We are called to tend it, and open the gate that Christ will lead his church.


DAILY BIBLE READING 

Meditate on scripture: return to the scripture that has resounded within you today. Hold it, look at it, ponder, meditate, and contemplate what it means for you, in your mind, heart, and actions. Take your time, make notes and think about what God is telling you today. Read as little or as much as you need to center in God’s inspiration for you. Too much in one sitting? Try New Testament in the Morning and OT at night.


PRAYERS

MORNING

Lord of yellow cream skies and warm blankets, I awake to the gift of this day.
A day of growing light and growing heart. I open my eyes, and my inner self to
the wisdom and grace found in your word. I empty myself of expectation and
welcome the Holy Spirit of love and Christ to infuse my
being in your divine presence, Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION

Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Chickens  
My friend Stephanie was telling me about her night time routine. When she gets home at night she needs to make sure the chickens are back in the fence. During the day they like to get out of their captivity and take in the free-range options and sit on top of their coop. But the chickens don’t understand the night time dangers and the predators that await these free rangers. Do you have fences that you are bound and determined to scale and find freedom? Are these fences barriers of opportunity or nets of safety? Many fear Christianity is about being fenced in and a loss of freedom, it is the chain link of God providing us the safety we need to find peace and love and freedom from fear and death. 

VIRTUES FOR PRAYER EACH DAY OF THE WEEK:

love of God (Sunday),
love of neighbor (Monday),
humility (Tuesday),

self-denial (Wednesday and Friday),
resignation and meekness (Thursday),
and thanksgiving (Saturday).


Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists: Abingdon Press. Kindle Edition.


WAITING UPON THE LORD SILENT OR WRITTEN
      * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice
       of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help
       your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand,
       change, make, explore…... 


BENEDICTION

I close this time of prayer and divine connection to live this day
in continued peace and loving power. Creator, guide my steps,
my words, my hands that they may be your will, your love,
and your work. Amen

DAYTIME

Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer,
release your burdens, be thankful. Recall the readings of
this day and contemplate how they are affecting your day.

King of peace and grace, I stop to recognize your presence in my day.
I breathe within me the breath of life and Spirit. The air fills my lungs,
and your spirit follows each molecule of air into my every cell.
I am alive in faith and love enveloped in your grace, generosity,
and forgiveness. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past


Did I take time to be in prayer with God and to be thankful for his mercies and blessings?
What are my goals tomorrow to be more connected to the Divine?
Did I in some way share the beauty of God to others through my words or actions?
Was I generous with my time and resources?
Did I challenge myself in faith?
Did I grow in love for God and others today?
Did I extend the forgiveness that I desire to receive?
Did I take time to be present and enjoy all God has provided?
Did I create, or dedicate some act of praise to God?

WAITING UPON THE LORD SILENT OR WRITTEN*

BENEDICTION

Majestic God, the color of this day is fading into grays and deep blues
as the final reds of the day descend beyond the horizon. Before me
I lay my failings of this day, and I pray for your forgiveness.
Lead me toward the land beyond my sight into the warmth of peaceful sleep.
Relieve my burdened mind, and heart with your unending grace
and mercy and prepare me for the light of tomorrow. Amen



























1 Comments:

At October 10, 2017 at 5:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Reflecting on your message Sunday, I had the thought that just the grapes on the vine, sometimes we need to be crushed to reach our potential...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home