Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Daily Devotional Guide
November 19-26, 2017



https://comingintothelightofaliyah.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/key-hole.jpg?w=558

The Kingdom of Heaven is like…..

a man who goes away and gives his money to his servants and comes back
to find two servants have increased his wealth and one has returned it unchanged.
That servant is cast away. What about that speaks of heaven?
If we define the kingdom of heaven as the realm of God beyond space, time,
and eternal glory this makes no sense at all. If we go back into the depths of the Greek words
and state it this way: the realm of God’s power to lift one up, and provide atonement.
It becomes easier to understand. Christ gives to each of us the Holy Spirit and power
to do what we can do to bring grace alive in the world.
We must not bury God’s grace to be returned unchanged and soiled with dirt. 

VISIO DIVINA
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images.
Take time to study the picture and consider what the Holy Spirit is communicating to you
through shape, feeling, light and texture.
How does this picture connect you to Matthew 25:14- 30 and reach into your heart?
How does the play of light, texture, content speak to you?
Is God showing you something in this image that is relevant to your life today?
Is faith, joy, mercy, justice, God, Christ, Spirit witnessed to in this image?
Where does the key hole lead? What is the key? Where is the key?

Prayer


MORNING
     Lord of dawning day and living light
 I open my center to realize your presence and grace.
 I empty my mind to be filled with your Spirit
 that it is your direction, your path, your power that leads me forward.
 Teach me, guide me, challenge me in how I share your love.
Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Give Me the Dirt
     I love dirt, digging, warm soil, planting, and discovery.
I cannot remember a time that I didn’t have my hands in the soil.
 All gardeners know that in digging there is discovery.
Discovery of God in nature and growth, discovery of ourselves
and our capabilities, and of what has been lost to the passage of time.
I have never unearthed anything of importance like dinosaur bones, or arrowheads.
My discoveries tend toward a lost hair clip, army men, marbles.
Those items of little significance in the life of a child.
They revealed to me the life of those who have passed before and lived on the dirt before me.
     Our parable refers to hiding things in the dirt. Not an accidental
or careless childhood moment of forgetfulness, but a purposeful excavation.
The grace of God is buried and hidden away.
Fear and worry take hold as grace lives in its hidey hole.
The man lives in this dirty state avoiding the true life he buried away.
     We bury things away within the soil of our inner selves.
We avoid our hurt and shame by shoveling more and more atop
pushing it all deeper and deeper. When grace is buried,
it isn’t the grace that lives in darkness.
Grace is light and hope, faith, trust, and peace.
When we bury grace, we live in the darkness
separated from the God of love who forgives through Christ,
and prevails within us through the Holy Spirit.
We live in God’s light sharing love and growing richer
and brighter sowing marbles and hairclips of faith for those who follow.
We live atop the earth in the light of grace, not within our earthly
fears and shame consumed by darkness.



DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.
 Audio Lectio   http://alivenow.upperroom.org/audio-lectio/

Chronological Bible 
One Year Bible


Virtues for Prayer Each Day of The Week:

love of God- Sunday                  self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
love of neighbor -Monday          resignation and meekness -  Thursday
humility -Tuesday                      and thanksgiving - Saturday
                                                          Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice
       of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help
       your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand,
       change, make, explore…...

BENEDICTION
    God of the soil, creator of my earthly self,
and giver of your Holy Spirit, unearth and banish my fears and hesitancies.
 Empower me to live in the love of Jesus
bestowing compassion, understanding, and mercy. Amen

DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer,
release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina
and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.

    I pray in thanksgiving for this day and hour.
I pray into your Spirit of love and patience to refocus and recharge.
I dig down to the foundation set by Christ
and center upon this gift of life made known through death and resurrection.
Change my thoughts to honor what is beautiful and life giving.
Guide me to set aside that which is hurtful and damaging to myself and others.
Bring me peace.
Amen

EVENING
     Father of the gloaming light of evening darkness.
Teacher of life and light awaken my self-awareness that I may be transformed
by your grace and word. Show me the errors of this day
and in your love, change me. Guide me to grow in love and mercy. Amen

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present in our faith
and expressive in sharing God’s grace. These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
 God is the force we respond to. God is first. We live in response to his love given through Christ.

Did I love God in prayer with thankfulness and openness?
How will I love God more tomorrow?
Did I love others and share the beauty of God?
Was I generous with my time and resources?
Did I grow in faith?
Did I grow in love for God and others today?
Did I extend the forgiveness of Christ that I desire to receive?
Did I take time to appreciate all God has provided?
Did I love God through creative praise?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

BENEDICTION
     Father of gentle quiet I place my day before you.
I place all my need, my anger, selfishness, and pride before you.
I pray for your forgiveness and the power to begin the morrow with
clearness and purpose to love better and more fully.
In your mercy, hear my prayer and grant me peaceful rest. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home