Tuesday, January 23, 2018

January 21-28th, 2018


Daily Devotional Guide
January 21-28th, 2018



  

VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images.
How does this image speak to you about faith, purpose? Where are you in this picture?
Are you showing, eager to see, or hanging back. What is God revealing to you through this image?

Prayer

MORNING
Lord of rising sun and foggy morn, I open myself to you. I give my love and gratitude
for this day and your abundant grace. I ponder the course of this day and the
challenges that will come. I wonder at the unexpected beauty and blessings that will also find me.
I yearn to see and to prevail through the miracle of this day. 
I pray to know your Spirit in all my hours and moments 
and to grow and be love, your love in my living of this day. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

It Was the Best of Times and It Was the Worst Of Times,
it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,
it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity,
it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness,
it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair,
we had everything before us, we had nothing before us,
we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way
Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities.
Mark 1:14-15
After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee,
proclaiming the good news of God. 
 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has
come near. Repent and believe the good news!”
Christ calls us to the good news of God’s grace for all who
believe and accept his gift of righteousness. It is a time
of wisdom, belief, light and hope for every life centered
upon partnering with God through Christ to join
in growing in love, securing peace, and showing mercy
and compassion to all.

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture. 


Virtues for Prayer Each Day of The Week:

love of God- Sunday                 
love of neighbor -Monday         
humility -Tuesday                     
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving - Saturday 
 Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present
to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music,
use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God
 is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…...

Sending Prayer
Lord may your love abide in my heart.
May your grace and Spirit be my guide and strength through this day.
Keep me grounded in faith and hope knowing peace and joy are your gifts.
Use me as a light for others to find their way and know your grace. Amen
    
DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day.
Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens,
be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina
and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.

PRAYER
Provider of calming teas and uplifting coffees I pause into your Spirit
to gain the peace and purpose needed to quench my soul.
I settle into prayer to regain the focus of grace to continue in my day.
Pull me from anger, frustration, worry, and fear.
Direct me in promise, hope, trust, and redemption to live as I desire, devoted to you. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present
in our faith and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace with others.
These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
God is the force to which we respond
God is first. We live in response to his love given through Christ.

Did I love God in prayer with thankfulness and openness?
How will I love God more tomorrow?
Did I love others and share the beauty of God?
Was I generous with my time and resources?
Did I grow in faith?
Did I grow in love for God and others today?
Did I extend the forgiveness of Christ that I desire to receive?
Did I take time to appreciate all God has provided?
Did I love God through creative praise?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

Prayer
God of rest and silent gloaming.
The winter winds howl and tremble urging our souls to respect and know your power.
The howling outside is only an echo of the turbulence within. I set down the useless, negative,
unloving attitudes and actions of this day. I recognize my failings and seek the peace found
through your compassion. The name of Christ consumes my heart as
I know the cost of your forgiveness. Your love through Christ brings peace in its power.

And the howling becomes the voice of grace calling to all upon the wind.  Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home