Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Love Is Not





Devotional Guide
March 4th-11th
Love Is Not Jealous




 



VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with
God through images. How does this image speak to you about love?
Reading 1 Corinthians 13 :4 the description of love moves on to identify
what love is not. It is not jealous, boastful, or arrogant. How does this
image portray what love is not? If the little boy is God what should our
response be to his love? What child do imagine yourself being? What
do you need to examine through prayer to become patient and kind?
Visit this image throughout the week and ponder what message God is
revealing to you about how you need to change your love.

Prayer

MORNING
Morning light now dawning I praise
my God of grace through your beams
of joyful love. I praise the Lord of
creation and new life as the earth warms
and bulbs sprout. Enliven my heart
to grow in greater love and understanding
as I enter this time of prayer and
scripture. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Grackles and Starlings

It is sometimes odd to discover what attitudes and views have
been embedded into us by others. My dad was a very accepting man.
 He always taught his children to value all people, to be kind, and respectful.
This week’s bird story comes from my dad. He enjoyed watching and teaching
me about birds. But, there were those darn grackles and starlings.
My dad seemed to hate those birds. Grandson Liam loves the grackles.
He finds their shiny black feathers and blue iridescence beautiful.
Recently the starlings showed up too. Dad’s voice echoed into my mind from the past.
“Those darn Starlings”. The binoculars revealed birds with jade colored spots
 in their camouflage mix of brown spots and stripes.
 I realized what ever my father’s hatred of these birds was,
 my experience was different. Liam and I should make our own
decisions about love and not blindly accept the attitudes of others
no matter how much we may love those people.
As we study about love and learn the patient service
and selfless attitude required to love well there is a necessity
 to overcome those embedded attitudes. We need to view the world
as our heavenly father does and not blindly accept the views
of our earthly parents, mentors, teachers, ….. Instead we follow
our brother Jesus and set aside jealousy, bragging, and boasting.
Because love isn’t about us and what we can get.
It is about Christ and how we can give and serve. Ann

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture. 




Virtues for Prayer Each Day of The Week:
love of God- Sunday                 
love of neighbor -Monday         
humility -Tuesday                     
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving - Saturday 
 Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind,
and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal,
listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus.
 Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand,
change, make, explore…...

Sending Prayer
 Lord you are my light and my salvation,
You lead your people on the path of truth
and mercy giving us compassion and your
abiding patience and kindness. Lead me forth
to love you in awe and wonder, to love others
with awe and wonder, and to experience all
that is contained within this day in grace. Amen

   
DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer,
release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings,
the Visio Divina and meditate upon them
and how they are affecting your day.

PRAYER
Lord of abiding love and abundant life,
I pray in this pause of all my doings, work,
and responsibilities. I wait in your presence
beholding the warmth of your Holy Spirit
and surrendering my agenda, my hurts,
my disappointments to your power.
Guide me forward in your love, so that I
may live in bold love to others. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present
in our faith and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace
 with others. These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
God is the force to which we respond God is first.
We live in response to his love given through Christ.

Did I love God in prayer with thankfulness and openness?
How will I love God more tomorrow?
Did I love others and share the beauty of God?
Was I generous with my time and resources?
Did I grow in faith?
Did I grow in love for God and others today?
Did I extend the forgiveness of Christ that I desire to receive?
Did I take time to appreciate all God has provided?
Did I love God through creative praise?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

Prayer

Father of the peaceful night, the day closes its eyes
as the night descends upon the earth. Close your eyes
to my failings and the hurt I have caused today. Look away
from my lack of love. Cast your eyes not on what I have
failed to do today but forgive my weakness. Instead seek
the strength and trust I have shown through your Spirit. Praise
the love I have shown in response to your grace and sacrifice. 
ord love me despite that which contains the darkness within me. 
Lord I pray for sleep that strengthens the body and renews my soul.
 Lead me in such strength of your spirit 
that I may prevail in your love tomorrow. Amen


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home