Thursday, January 25, 2018


Daily Devotional Guide
January 28th – February 4th, 2018
Mark 1:21-27



 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/8e/fa/3b8efa383dd05662e96e0a0c4bbce888.jpg
VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images.
How does this image speak to you about faith, purpose? Reading Mark 1:21-27 what impressions
come to you in relationship to this image. Can you place yourself in this picture?
Does something disturb you about this image? What do you think God is revealing to you?

Prayer

MORNING
Lord of light and wakeful breath. I pray to you as I awaken to this
day of promise, beauty, challenges, and life in grace. Cleanse me
from the darkness of human thoughts, instill within me your word
of love and mercy. Seep within my marrow the grace of Christ’s
life, forgiveness, and purpose. Lead me in response to my gratefulness to
your grace to be the light that changes others to see you and know you.
Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Are You Here to Kill Us?
You are standing among some people listening to a stranger speak.
They are compelling and moving you to new thought. Of course
the natural response is to ask if they are there to kill you. We
read this section of Mark thinking this is a story of Jesus’
power over demonic possession and move on. It certainly couldn’t be
about us who are not possessed. So, we consider the awesome
power of Jesus understanding he is awesome and move on. Another
interpretation is that this man is suffering from epilepsy or another
form of illness not understood in that time. Jesus heals him of his illness.
Again, cool Jesus is awesome. But what if he is there to kill them.
What if this scripture is about us. What if Jesus is there to kill the
confused and erroneous teachings of the Hebrew religious/political
system and introduce new life to everyone? What if Jesus is inviting
everyone to die into a new birth of spirit and truth. What if this
is really about us, and Jesus is here to kill you-

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture. 



Virtues for Prayer Each Day of The Week:

love of God- Sunday                 
love of neighbor -Monday         
humility -Tuesday                     
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving - Saturday 
 Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present
to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music,
use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God
 is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…...

Sending Prayer
Lord, kill my stubbornness, selfishness
and hate. Steep me in love, joy, awe, and
beauty. Open my eyes to see others in your
love. Open my heart to move in mercy and
compassion toward all people. Lead me. Amen
    
DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day.
Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens,
be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina
and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.
PRAYER
Father of time, my day speeds past in work,
and tasks. Obligations cling and claw in demand
of mind and action. Pressure, stress, pursue to
overwhelm me. Lord, in this moment I pray
for peace, light, and to focus in your love. Kill
my ugly humanity and bring alive within me the
beauty of my soul found in your grace. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present
in our faith and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace with others.
These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
God is the force to which we respond
God is first. We live in response to his love given through Christ.

Did I love God in prayer with thankfulness and openness?
How will I love God more tomorrow?
Did I love others and share the beauty of God?
Was I generous with my time and resources?
Did I grow in faith?
Did I grow in love for God and others today?
Did I extend the forgiveness of Christ that I desire to receive?
Did I take time to appreciate all God has provided?
Did I love God through creative praise?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

Prayer
God of my ending day. My painter of evening light clear
winter skies and stunning stars I pray for forgiveness for
all I have failed to appreciate today. I pray for forgiveness for
my recklessness, my failure to place you as my guide and foundation,
my failure to love. As you continue in creating this night I pray
your peace finds me. Your Spirit sooths me, and Your grace
hold me in deepest sleep that I may awaken in your love
to grow in love for you and others.  Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home