Thursday, April 26, 2018

Different

April 29-May 6th

Morning Prayer
Morning sun that breaks the dawn I arise to praise the Lord of your light. Your rays of power and my heart glow in honor of you my Lord and God. Lead me in my prayers to open my heart to your grace, my mind to your wisdom, and my life to your purpose.  

St. Philip the Deacon by Ann Chapin

VISIO DIVINA
 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with
God through images.

As you look at this image contemplate how the scripture from Acts speaks to you.
How does the artist create equality between Philip and the Eunuch?
What feelings do you encounter viewing this image?
What is God revealing to you about your path, heart, attitudes?


READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer

Different is the Point.
    When you buy a hardbound book, it comes with a dust jacket. The paper cover that has amazing artwork to draw your eye, and on the back reviews. The flyleaf or the paper wings that fold behind the hardcover also has author notes, reviews, and publisher notes.  We all know that we cannot determine how we will enjoy, be inspired, or influenced by a book without reading it.  If we regularly read an author and know their work, we have a better sense of how we will respond to their book.  When choosing a new author to read the reviews and comments are important to get a feel for their writing and your response to it. The real test is to read the book.
     Philip, when prompted by the Holy Spirit, encounters a man with a dust jacket very different from his own. He is darker skinned, educated, powerful, wealthy, and a eunuch from Ethiopia. Without the review by the Holy Spirit, I don’t know that Philip would naturally engage this man. They are complete opposites. And yet through the power of love and grace, they celebrate God together. They read from the book of Isaiah. Philip explains the gospel and they become brothers in Christ.
     Stop judging books by their covers and start reading. It’s about relationships and being different is the point.



DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.












Virtues to Guide Your Week


Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How can you love your neighbor? How will you deny yourself? How will you be thankful?

love of God- Sunday                 
love of neighbor -Monday         
humility -Tuesday                     
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving - Saturday 
Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…...

SENDING PRAYER
Maker of the melodies of life, the songs of the heart, the praise of the birds and flower, I steel myself to end my time in your presence. Fill my heart throughout this day with your peace and power that I might live in
joy and in devotion to you. Amen


DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.


DAYTIME PRAYER
Designer of the stillness, calm my heart. Remind me of your love and my goals of joy and service for this day. Realign my mind and soul with your will. Infuse my heart with grace, and my body with strength and determination. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present
in our faith and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace with others. These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
God is the force to which we respond.  We live in response
 to his love given through Christ.

Did I grow in my disciplines to prayer, scripture, and devotion to God?
Did I in some way put God and others before myself in how I lived today?
Did I live out the virtue of this day?
Did I love better today?
What do I regret today?
What will be my goal for tomorrow?


ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*


EVENING PRAYER

Lord of the cooling shadows and the whispering wind, speak to the hot shame of my day. Forgive me for my failings and criticisms and my loveless actions. Bring to me in your love a pure heart and gentle sleep. Inspire my heart to remain in your grace and my mind in your word that I may be perfected in your love. Amen

1 Comments:

At April 30, 2018 at 12:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Viewing the painting up-close (laptop vs projection screen), I'm struck by details that I missed: the orb above (representing the Holy Spirit?), Jerusalem in the distance, and the stark background (reminiscent of the parting of the Red Sea). The two different paths of these men have become one. If all books were the same, what would we have to read?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home