Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Palm Sunday 2018

March 25th-April 1St





VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with
God through images.


 1 Corinthians 13: 11-13
11When I was a child, I spoke, thought, and reasoned in childlike ways as we all do. But when I became a man, I left my childish ways behind. 12For now, we can only see a dim and blurry picture of things, as when we stare into polished metal. I realize that everything I know is only part of the big picture. But one day, when Jesus arrives, we will see clearly, face-to-face. In that day, I will fully know just as I have been wholly known by God. 13But now faith, hope, and love remain; these three virtues must characterize our lives. The greatest of these is love.

As you look at this image contemplate how this scripture speaks to you.
How does this image convey God’s love for us?  Our love for God?
As Holy Week begins how does this image represent this week that
begins in celebration of the Messiah and ends in his crucifixion?

PRAYER

MORNING
The light of the world breaks through the night and a new day begins.
I focus on you Lord, and I am overwhelmed. Why me? What have I
done to deserve such love from you? My Spirit hesitates and soars at the same time. I am happy and yet know my faults. I live today for you, father of all grace and love. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Excerpts from the blog of Rick Morley
A reflection on the Passion in the Gospel of Mark
…..when I’m in a hospital room and someone dies there is something—perhaps inadequately describable—that changes. Death casts a pall. What once was clearly alive is clearly no longer.
We may stand around a casket in a funeral home and talk about how the dearly departed “looks peaceful” and “sleeping,” but when death has just come, it’s hard to use such words.
Skin tone changes. Eyes are empty. Cheeks sink.
…..and, when Jesus is in that very moment—when he makes the turn from tortured man to corpse—
THAT’s when he is proclaimed as “Son of God.”
That’s the penultimate moment. The moment when he has just been broken.
There’s something to that. I’m not sure it can be denied. It’s the death of Jesus Christ which, for Mark at least, exalts him above all creation.
…….it should give us cause to sit at the foot of the cross this Holy Week. Before we break out the trumpet lilies and the white vestments—
before we don the white vestments.
Before then, perhaps we should sit at the feet of Jesus Christ, the corpse. The dead. The broken.
And behold the Son of God.
Perhaps that will make the discovery in the garden all the more revealing.

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation on scripture. 




Virtues to Guide Your Week
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How can you love your neighbor?
How will you deny yourself? How will you be thankful?

love of God- Sunday                 
love of neighbor -Monday         
humility -Tuesday                     
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving - Saturday 
 Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate on what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…...
Guided Meditation from Rick Morley  guided meditation

SENDING PRAYER
Father, lead me out into this day. Never be far from my heart
and my thoughts. Keep upon me the power of your grace and the courage of Jesus. Keep upon me the importance of his sacrifice for me. Amen

DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. 
Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.

PRAYER
Lord of life, every second holds your grace.
I stop to behold within the movement of time my prayer to you.
I pray in this space my devotion, my need, my fears, and my desire
to live as Jesus did. To abide in love and with courage to die to myself that I may live in your grace. Amen.

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present in
our faith and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace with others. These questions are in response to what God begins within us. God is the force to which we respond.  We live in response to his love given through Christ.

Did I grow in my disciplines to prayer, scripture, and devotion to God?
Did I in some way put God and others before myself in how I lived today?
Did I live out the virtue of this day?
Did I love better today?
What do I regret today?
What will be my goal for tomorrow?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

PRAYER
The welts of my sin rise upon the back of my savior. Forgive me. I am a selfish being of the dirt. I confess to you my God and my words make this true within my heart. I seek comfort in my distress. Cool my fevered brow and rest my aching bones. Bring me the grace of beauty, softness, and gentle dreams that I may awaken renewed and strengthened to overcome that which keeps me from responding with boldness to your grace. Amen


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home