Friday, December 22, 2017


Daily Devotional Guide
December 24-31st, 2017


https://www.babylist.com/hello-baby/twelve-ways-to-make-the-ultimate-baby-photo-holiday-card

VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul 
to connect with God through images. What does this image speak to you 
about God’s gift of grace? Your focus this Christmas? 
What your intentions are for expressing your faith going forward?

Prayer
MORNING
Gracious Lord of unexpected warmth, drizzly skies, and surprised blessings,
I begin this day thinking of your love and power.
The love you give me, a simple person, flawed and wanting in so many ways.
I seek to hold the grace of Christ with joy and live in the 
peace you give full of light and mercy. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Boxing Day
     My first Christmas living in Canada I learned about boxing day.
The day after Christmas was a time when Gentry gave their servants presents
in boxes and a day to spend with their family. It is also thought to be when priests
opened the alms boxes and distributed money to the poor.
December 26th is also St Stephen’s day. In the carol “Good King Wenceslas” 
the king  went out on the feast of Stephen.
It was a day celebrated through charitable giving. Today it has become another day of consumption.
A day to use your gift cards for items on sale and to return those things you just don’t like.
We have made it another day about ourselves. I think of our new baby born and waiting.
Christ helpless in his infant state. When we focus on our service and others in need
 we find our self-focus fades to the background. The newborn savior needs our attention.

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture. 


 Virtues for Prayer Each Day of The Week:

love of God- Sunday                  
love of neighbor -Monday         
humility -Tuesday                      
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday                                            
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving – Saturday
Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
 * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice
 of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help
 your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand,
  change, make, explore…...

BENEDICTION
    Lord of Jesus, giver of life and grace I give myself into your Holy Spirit.
 Lead me to love without fear, without hesitation,
but with abandon and confidence. Place in the front of my thoughts
the needs of others, and the care of the vulnerable. Use me.  Amen
  
DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer,
release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina
and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.

Father of light and sweet tastes, I pause to focus upon my love for you.
I breathe to fill my lungs with air and my soul with your love.
 I bow before you, and Christ, I praise you
and herald the majesty of your divine kingdom.  Amen

EVENING

      The evening falls to reveal your stars and man’s attempts
to copy your lights upon houses and rooftops.
The world is in celebration of your birth and the earth is bright with love.
I come in prayer. Reveal to me what I must do, release, repair, confess,
to hold your joyous love within my soul.  Amen

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present in our faith
And more expressive in sharing God’s grace.
These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
God is the force we respond to. God is first. We live in response to his love given through Christ.

Did I love God in prayer with thankfulness and openness?
How will I love God more tomorrow?
Did I love others and share the beauty of God?
Was I generous with my time and resources?
Did I grow in faith?
Did I grow in love for God and others today?
Did I extend the forgiveness of Christ that I desire to receive?
Did I take time to appreciate all God has provided?
Did I love God through creative praise?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

BENEDICTION
     Father of the night and of the light. Your voice has been heard across the world
and all of creation warms in the gift of your grace.
As the day ends and a new day is born you are born anew within me.
 I lay down to sleep with thoughts of your amazing love upon my mind and heart.
I rest in the knowledge of your grace.  Amen








1 Comments:

At December 22, 2017 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

She looks totally delighted: like the "gift" is exactly what she was hoping for! And she has no idea what's in store :-)

"Father of light and sweet tastes"
His light and goodness would taste sweet! (In contrast to the bitter regret of sin and darkness. ) Tis the season for sweets and what a vivid description of something we don't normally associate with that sense.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home