Saturday, December 30, 2017

December 31- Jan 7th 2018


Daily Devotional Guide
Dec. 31st – Jan.7th, 2018



 

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c6/ae/56/c6ae56e20208a3326bf24a20ab284aa1--black-and-white-abstract-black-white.jpg

VISIO DIVINA   is a meditative/prayer practice that 
opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images. 
What does this image speak to you about God’s gift of grace?
What does the play between black and white bring to mind?
Does this suggest something to you regarding your faith?
The white is invading the black spaces.
What does that say about the Holy Spirit?

Prayer

MORNING
 Why is this beauty of your creation so harsh and unyielding?
Is it so because your love is unyielding and steadfast?
I open myself to you to learn more of your love and grace.
I seek to know what of myself needs to be vulnerable and
changed to grow in love. Teach me awareness of need and my
call to resolve the harsh realities others abide within. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Time to Clean Up
     There always comes that time when the party is over all the fa la la la’s
have faded away and it is time to clean up. Oh, putting up the decorations is
fun and there are many helpers, but then all become deserters when it is time to take the tree down.
This brings back memories of college and a part time job I had cleaning a bar on Sunday mornings.
All the free beer is not enough even after getting your motor running with John Kay and Steppenwolf.
It wasn’t as bad when we cleaned at closing. It was when we waited
and came back on Sunday that the magic of the night before died a fast death
and left stale beer, cold pizza, and other nasties that assaulted one’s senses and sensibilities.
Our scripture this week is Luke 2:22-40. Mary and Joseph return to Jerusalem
to follow the rules for ritual cleansing. It was time to get Jesus cleaned up-sacrifice
some birds, and take care of the circumcision. This is a time for us to get cleaned up too.
It is a time to establish/reestablish those life giving and sustaining disciplines
that celebrate God’s grace. Trust me it is better to get at it today,
then wait until the dance floor is sticky. Blessings in the new year. Ann

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture. 



Virtues for Prayer Each Day of The Week:

love of God- Sunday                  
love of neighbor -Monday        
 humility -Tuesday                      
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday                                              
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving – Saturday
Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
         * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice
 of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help
 your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand,
 change, make, explore…...

BENEDICTION
    Father of cleansing grace and love, I pray your Holy Spirit
remains within my awareness as I walk through this day.
I want to walk the path before me with your love alive
within me and working through me. I pray with thanksgiving
and joy to Christ, your grace made known. Amen
    
DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, 
release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina
and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.

   Lord of life and centered treasures, I come into your presence
seeking the peace and affirmations
that come in knowing your Holy Spirit
and its workings within me. I give you my regrets and worries,
my frustrations and disappointments. Guide me into your love
and bring me the focus needed to
complete this day in faithful living.  Amen


EVENING

      Lord, winter chill finds my neck as the day turns to dusk
and the snow brightens the bleak winter night.
The falling snow hurries me toward warmth and home.
In the cold I set before me the hardness
I have shown this day, the shell I have maintained,
and the negativity that sought my thoughts.
I search my heart for the warmth I can give,
the love and light bestowed upon me to share.
I give myself into your grace. Amen


Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present
 in our faith and more expressive in sharing
what we know of God’s grace with others.
These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
God is the force we respond to. God is first.
We live in response to his love given through Christ.

Did I love God in prayer with thankfulness and openness?
How will I love God more tomorrow?
Did I love others and share the beauty of God?
Was I generous with my time and resources?
Did I grow in faith?
Did I grow in love for God and others today?
Did I extend the forgiveness of Christ that I desire to receive?
Did I take time to appreciate all God has provided?
Did I love God through creative praise?

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

BENEDICTION
     This winter night challenges the soul to run from
 its confrontations into the warmth of disillusionment.
Keep me strong through this night confident in
your abiding presence. Bring me sleep of rest and beauty
restoring me to give of myself in faith and love
as the sun begins its climb.   Amen






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home