Wednesday, May 23, 2018

May 27th-June 3rd

Morning Prayer
Lord of silent love, of warmth and colored skies, I awaken to your beauty filled with foggy thoughts and murky sight. Open my heart to your word, my soul to your grace, and all that I am to your service. Amen


READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer

Let’s Go Suffer Together

 “we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him” (Romans 8:16).
We don’t like suffering. It is awful to watch the crimes and deplorable actions of man against man. It is heart wrenching to see the damage of nature in its destruction and famine. Pain, illness, poverty, are horrible physically, mentally, emotionally. Is this our gospel to suffer so as to be glorified?
The Greek word to suffer means to feel heavy, emotional passion1. This means that we are not talking about suffering but seeing with heartache the suffering around us. Christ came to end suffering. We are not called to experience horrors, but to remedy suffering by being Christ in the world. This becomes clearer when we examine the Greek to be glorified. The meaning here is to be closely identified with the Lord2. Our actions then represent our faith and Christian love.
Yes, we are to suffer as we are overwhelmed with love and compassion and work in love to eradicate the ills of the world. We know we have it right when others witness our love of God in how we live. Let’s suffer together so as to be glorified. Ann
1.  http://biblehub.com/greek/4841.htm 
2.  http://biblehub.com/greek/4888.htm                                                       



VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images.

As you look at this image contemplate how the scripture speaks to you.
What feelings do you encounter viewing this image?
What is God revealing to you?
What are you called to do?

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.


Virtues to Guide Your Week
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How can you love your neighbor? How will you deny yourself? How will you be thankful?

  love of God- Sunday                               love of neighbor -Monday         
  humility -Tuesday                                    self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
  resignation and meekness -  Thursday      thanksgiving - Saturday 

Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
        * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…...

SENDING PRAYER
Father of life and love lead me in my, day, my thoughts, my attitudes. Direct my day to see beauty, inspiration, opportunity. Inspire my courage and boldness to be one who works for your world of peace and harmony. Challenge me to suffer. Amen


DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.


DAYTIME PRAYER
God, I stop.
I listen for your voice
I pause in gratitude
I seek to be renewed
and focused in grace. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present
in our faith and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace with others. These questions are in response to what God begins within us. God is the force to which we respond. We live in response
to his love given through Christ.

Did I grow in my disciplines to prayer, scripture, and devotion to God?
Did I in some way put God and others before myself in how I lived today?
Did I live out the virtue of this day?
Did I love better today?
What do I regret today?
What will be my goal for tomorrow?


ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

EVENING PRAYER

Lord, the summer evenings are clinging in time. The darkness waits longer and longer to take hold of my world. I am refreshed by the breezes, the sweet aroma of blooms, and grass. I give to you the clippings I have strewn across my day that turn brown and spoil the goodness beneath. Forgive me Lord and lead my heart to greater love. As the day wanes into the gray of summer eve let my inner harshness fade away. Bring to me the joy of life in your grace and dreams of heavenly peace. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home