Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May 6th-13th

Morning Prayer
Lord of pink ribbons of the morning horizon, of chirping bird, and warm breezes, I awaken my soul to your presence and grace. I praise you for your power, compassion, and love. I am humbled and shy to the works of Christ that challenge me to be perfected in your love. Open my heart wide to receive your grace, my mind to learn, and my soul to change. Amen





VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with
God through images.

As you look at this image contemplate how the scripture speaks to you.
What does the shape of Christ’s scepter mean to you?
What feelings do you encounter viewing the angel’s faces in this image?
What is God revealing to you about your path, heart, attitudes?


READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer

Sing a New Song
We like to sing the songs we know. The melody and words are old friends that can express our joys and sorrows. Without the stumbling s that come with a new song, it is easier to sing from the heart. I remember in grade school music class we would practice and practice a song until it became ingrained within our brains and voices. It was the same in band. New songs required practice.
Our scripture in Acts reminds me of learning a new song. The Disciples are negotiating Christianity. This new religion encounters new music with strange chords and words. The Jewish Christians are finding the gentile songs strange and challenging.
The Holy Spirit is teaching the new tune. It is one of inclusiveness and harmony. It is a song that requires unity and acceptance. God’s kingdom is of peace and togetherness. In this time of cacophonous views, we need to sing a new song of praise and grace. The song of the Gospel and the power of grace.  Ann



DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.






Virtues to Guide Your Week


Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How can you love your neighbor? How will you deny yourself? How will you be thankful?
  love of God- Sunday                 love of neighbor -Monday         humility -Tuesday                     
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday      resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving - Saturday 
Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…...

SENDING PRAYER
Lord, awaken my soul to a new song. Lead me in my day to sing with new attitudes and understandings. Inspire my actions to reflect your grace and speak words of love. Amen

DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.

DAYTIME PRAYER
Creator of the silence, I pause to remember your grace, your word, your power. I pause to re-center my thoughts and motivations to be aligned with your peace and harmony. I pause to rest in your Spirit that I may continue my day in love.

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present in our faith 
and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace with others. 
These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
God is the force to which we respond.  We live in response to his love given through Christ.

Did I grow in my disciplines to prayer, scripture, and devotion to God?
Did I in some way put God and others before myself in how I lived today?
Did I live out the virtue of this day?
Did I love better today?
What do I regret today?
What will be my goal for tomorrow?


ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*

EVENING PRAYER

Guardian of all life, I pray in this day’s ending. I consider the day that is turning to tomorrow and my actions within its hours. I am discouraged by my failings to love and my actions dedicated to self. I confess my disappointments in myself. I confess my attitudes and actions, motivations and words, that did not bring glory to you, Christ, Spirit and proved to demean myself in light of your grace. I pray to sleep in beauty and peace so that I may awake to your grace and live to your purpose. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home