Monday, July 23, 2018

Ghoulies and Ghosties

July 15th-22nd

Morning
PRAYER
My Lord of the wakening soul. Bring light to my heavy Spirit, Show me the light of my salvation. Awaken me to your joy.  As the sun rises and brings heat to the day bring the warmth of your presence upon my heart. Amen

Readings for Reflection
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Ghoulies and Ghosties     Mark 6: 14-29
From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!

This Old Scottish prayer reminds us of the fears and superstitions that can inhabit our imaginations. Evidenced in our scripture is the torture of the mind that the marriage of guilt and superstition can create.
Herod operating in fear of position and respect beheaded John the Baptist. It seems that grace that was blooming within Him to know The God of Love was rejected by fear and superstition. Believing Jesus to be empowered by the Ghost of John he was tormented by his actions.  If only Herod knew that God’s love, Christ’s love, casts out all fear.
We too become worried and anxious at times. Consider the consequences of turning from grace. What can you be freed from when embracing God’s love and Spirit. All the things that go bump in the night.

Visio Divina
is a meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images.





Solario, Andrea. Salome with the Head of Saint John the Baptist, 1506. Oil on wood. 

What is the symbolism of this image?

What do the expressions of the faces reveal?

What questions arise about people, justice, and God through this image?

What is God through the Holy Spirit revealing to you in this image?



Daily Scripture Reading
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.

Abiding in The Spirit
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore

Virtues to Live by
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How will you  love God, neighbor, self more each day?

LOVE GOD,                LOVE NEIGHBOR
HUMILITY                  SELF- CONTROL
GENTLENESS             GRATITUDE

Love of neighbor is an interest in others. It is a call to think and serve the needs and interests of other people before your self. What can you do this week to love your neighbor?


SENDING PRAYER
God of my mind and heart, seal my focus and actions upon your will, your power, and your love for the world. Wash me in your grace to become confident and bold in my love for you and others. Challenge me to grow today in action and wisdom. Amen

Afternoon
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day

PRAYER
Holy Spirit I breath deeply to know within me your presence and God’s grace. Guide me through this day with love and compassion. Search me and know me, lead me and challenge me to live and serve in love. Amen

Evening
To grow in faith and understanding of God, ourselves, and others it helps to evaluate ourselves, hold ourselves accountable, challenge ourselves. In your personal growth in faith and Christian action evaluate how you lived in love of God, others, and self today.

Prayer              Scripture          Service                       Compassion
Worship           Forgiveness     Commitment   Repentance


Abiding in The Spirit*

PRAYER

As the light fades from the day the energy of my body gives over to the need to rest. Heal me of negative thoughts, encourage me in my repentance and growth. Bring to me the beauty of dreams drenched in the gentle dew of your abiding grace. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home