Monday, July 23, 2018

Like Sheep Without a Shepherd

July 22-29th

Morning
PRAYER
Father of soul, of body, of peace, of compassion. You bring me into this new day as vulnerable and weak as every day begins. It is your grace that brings perspective and strength. It is your son that brings comfort and trust. As I center to hear your voice in prayer, I thank you, I yearn for you, I delight in your word, and ache for your guidance. Amen

Readings for Reflection
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

My Favorite Teacher, Mrs. Grady   Mark 6: 30-34, 53-56

My third -grade teacher Mrs. Grady resides in my memory as Miss Honey in Roald Dahl’s Matilda. She would read to us as the dust motes danced in the warm sunshine flooding in the doorway and windows. She was a gentle, encouraging teacher, young and pretty. I felt safe in her classroom. She cared for us her flock of eager sheep. Jesus proclaims the people were like sheep without a shepherd. We are often told how mindless sheep can be. Being compared to a simple grazing wool factory is off-putting. But perhaps it isn’t that sheep are incapable of learning, that it’s the failure of the Shepherd to train them. In her article posted in Grit Rural American Know-how Sarah Schartz speaks about sheep. “I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s about the attitude of the shepherd, not the sheep”. If we as Christ’s sheep are not capable of learning why did Christ spend so much time and energy teaching? Sarah is right when she speaks about the attitude of shepherds, leadership, teachers and guides. It is about the love, compassion, and interest of the Shepherd. The religious leaders were not watching, teaching, feeding, loving their flock. We are truly blessed to have the best teacher, Christ as our Shepherd.




Visio Divina
is a meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images.










What is the symbolism of this image?
What emotions does the sheep inspire in you?
What questions, understandings arise about God through this image?
What is God through the Holy Spirit revealing to you in this image?






Daily Scripture Reading
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.


Abiding in The Spirit
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore

Virtues to Live by
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How will you  love God, neighbor, self more each day?

LOVE GOD,                LOVE NEIGHBOR
HUMILITY                  SELF- CONTROL
GENTLENESS             GRATITUDE

Love of neighbor is an interest in others. It is a call to think and serve the needs and interests of other people before your self. What can you do this week to love your neighbor?


SENDING PRAYER
Lord, your love and mercy lead me. Your Son and Spirit join me in living this day in grace and compassion. Teach me. Amen

Afternoon
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day

PRAYER
I open my heart to your presence Lord. I check myself and discern my attitude. I rest in your knowing of me, my trust in you. Refresh my and lead me forth with energy and love. Amen

Evening
To grow in faith and understanding of God, ourselves, and others it helps to evaluate ourselves, hold ourselves accountable, challenge ourselves. In your personal growth in faith and Christian action evaluate how you lived in love of God, others, and self today.

Prayer              Scripture          Service                       Compassion
Worship           Forgiveness     Commitment   Repentance


Abiding in The Spirit*

PRAYER

As the day slowly closes the door of light and busyness, I come to rest in the beauty of the night. I take in the stars and the symphony of cricket and frog. The fireflies light the way for rabbits to dance their nightly praise. The creatures of the night awaken to their secret world unknown to those who abide in the day. And you creator of all this fantastical and amazing opera love me. You who know all, create all beauty and love, shepherd me. I lay to rest safe within the fold of your grace. Your love is my sweetest dream. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home