Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Dark Path

July 29th -August 5th

Morning
PRAYER
Morning light and chirping bird, sweetness of breath and waking mind all surround me as I come into your presence. Lord of this day and all it contains, of winsome moments, challenges, and grace lead me in your love. Guide me in leaving behind all the needless, nonsense, negative, and stumbling concerns. Fill me with all that is sweet and powerful that comes from your Spirit, Word, and life. Lead me to understand and grow that I may be more fully me in you. Amen

Readings for Reflection
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Then There Was the Wind     John 6:16-21
. I remember camping at Potato Creek State Campground when the kids were little. We rented canoes and were having fun. Then the wind changed, and I found myself with two children struggling to steer and paddle the canoe. I panicked. Ron was yelling directions that were just confusing and making me panic more. Eventually Ron made it to us and we paddled to the dock together.
We find ourselves unable to navigate things in life. We may be going right along on a clear day paddling easily when things change suddenly. The wind whips up and we lose all sense of any control we had. It becomes a dark scary time. We may feel alone and not able to operate in what we know. God may even seem far away.
What we learn is that God is near. He jumps right in and before we know it we are safe. Time becomes distorted. We find suffering seems to last forever and marvel when dry land suddenly is under our feet. The winds calm, and our memories serve to bring us hope and trust in the power of God.




Visio Divina
is a meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images.





What is the symbolism of this image?
What emotions does the darkness inspire in you?
What questions, understandings arise about God through this image?
What is God through the Holy Spirit revealing to you in this image?

Daily Scripture Reading
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.

Abiding in The Spirit
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore

Virtues to Live by
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How will you  love God, neighbor, self more each day?

LOVE GOD,                LOVE NEIGHBOR
HUMILITY                  SELF- CONTROL
GENTLENESS             GRATITUDE

Love of neighbor is an interest in others. It is a call to think and serve the needs and interests of other people before your self. What can you do this week to love your neighbor?


SENDING PRAYER
“Jesus, savior, Pilot me over life’s tempestuous sea; unknown wave before me roll, hiding rock and treacherous shoal. Chart and compass came from thee; Jesus, Savior, pilot me” (United Methodist Publishing House 1989).
 Richard Hopper 1871 Jesus Savior, Pilot Me
                                                 
Afternoon
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day

PRAYER
I take in breath and exhale all the waste from my lungs. I inhale your presence Lord and lay down all the wasted thoughts and actions. I bring myself to hear your Spirit calm me and direct me into the purpose of this day. I seek the peace and beauty found only in your grace. Amen

Evening
To grow in faith and understanding of God, ourselves, and others it helps to evaluate ourselves, hold ourselves accountable, challenge ourselves. In your personal growth in faith and Christian action evaluate how you lived in love of God, others, and self today.

Prayer              Scripture          Service                       Compassion
Worship           Forgiveness     Commitment   Repentance


Abiding in The Spirit*

PRAYER

Father, I consider this day and all it has contained. I consider myself within each event. Lord I confess my failures and my stumbling. I seek your guidance and grace in the wind and the stillness. May you bless this night with calm and restful sleep, drenched in peace and the beauty of your love. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home