Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Stealing Joy

April 22-29

Morning Prayer
Father of rising sun and morning light, you bring joy into my day. As the birds awake and the day begins I am entranced by your creation and energy. I seek to grow through your word and know further your love, and myself through this time of prayer. Take me in your Spirit to experience your presence and grace. Amen






VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with
God through images.

As you look at this image contemplate how the scripture from Acts speaks to you.
How and Why are the High Priest’s destroying the joy of the people?
In Your life consider when you have destroyed joy.
What feelings do you encounter viewing this image?
What is God revealing to you about God, love, yourself?


READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer



Stealing Joy
Why is it there always a joy stealer around right when you are feeling excited about an idea, accomplishment, possibility etc.? It is that miserable and negative person who wants everyone else to be miserable too. Perhaps it is that person who needs control, so they go about causing destruction. It could be jealousy, hatred, ambition, covetousness etc. that motivate their heart to hurt others.  Our scripture points out the power of joy held in the spirit focused on Jesus Christ. Those responsible for plotting and manipulating the system to ensure the death of Christ have encountered a joyful celebration of faith and healing. The scripture helps us understand that our joy based in Christ is not so easily stolen. The leaders are defeated in suppressing the joy of the crowd. Their success lies only in fortifying their misery and darkness.



DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.





Virtues to Guide Your Week
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How can you love your neighbor?
How will you deny yourself? How will you be thankful?



love of God- Sunday                 
love of neighbor -Monday         
humility -Tuesday                     
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving - Saturday 


 Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate on what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…...

SENDING PRAYER
Lord of my joy, my heart, my life, I prepare myself to leave your presence. I center on your world, your people, your Son, and your Spirit. I give myself, my strength, my all into your will. Open my mind and heart to live your word and use my hands and resources to your will. Amen


DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day.


DAYTIME PRAYER
The day moves ahead quickly undaunted by time and purpose. I pause in your Holy Spirit to realign into your grace and power. Bestow upon me peace and resolve to continue this day in your spirit and love. Let me be your love and mercy to others. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present in our faith 
and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace with others. These questions 
are in response to what God begins within us.God is the force to which we respond.  We live in response
 to his love given through Christ.

Did I grow in my disciplines to prayer, scripture, and devotion to God?
Did I in some way put God and others before myself in how I lived today?
Did I live out the virtue of this day?
Did I love better today?
What do I regret today?
What will be my goal for tomorrow?



ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*


EVENING PRAYER

Father of night breezes and darkening sky, I come in prayer as the day begins to fade into tomorrow. I offer my day to do. I give you my doubts, regrets, sins, shame, and fears. Forgive me my failings and rejoice in my moments of love, compassion, mercy, and forgiveness. Bless me with dreams of gentle beauty and sleep that restores my body, that I may awaken renewed and full of joy to live devoted to you another day. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home