Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Jump Start

May 13th-20th

Morning Prayer
God, you are the power of my heart and soul. I seek your grace as I enter this time of prayer and contemplation. Awaken my inner heart to your love and transform me in your grace. I seek to live in thankfulness and praise to Christ in all that I do, am, say. Amen

READINGS FOR REFLECTION
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer

The Romans, Volta, Franklin, and Shelley
How many times have we heard the faith is not relevant to scientific discovery? We know as people of faith that science reveals the power of God. Did you know thousands of years ago man was using electricity? The Romans used electric eels to “zap” away headaches and other ailments. In the late 1700’s experiments with electricity were gaining notoriety and useful applications. In 1800 Benjamin Franklin discovered the connection between lightning and electricity and Alessandro Volta created the electric battery. In 1817. Mary Shelley wrote her book Frankenstein; or the Modern Prometheus.
Our scripture reading from Ephesians tells of the great power of the Holy Spirit. It is this power that God worked to raise Christ from the dead. The word worked means to energize like an electrical current.1 I couldn’t help thinking about Shelley’s story about Dr. Frankenstein. That as people we want to usurp God’s power to create life. The discoveries may be new to us, but everything was created by our creator at the beginning of time.
The Holy Spirit is the power to bring us life. It is this power that energizes and heals us to do and be brought into new life by Jesus Christ.
                                                     1 http://biblehub.com/greek/1754.htm

VISIO DIVINA 
is meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with
God through images.

As you look at this image contemplate how the scripture speaks to you.
Why is Christ’s face without features and shape?
What feelings do you encounter viewing this image?
What is God revealing to you about your path, hope, grace?







DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.








Virtues to Guide Your Week


Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. 
How can you love your neighbor? How will you deny yourself? How will you be thankful?



          love of God- Sunday                 
love of neighbor -Monday         
humility -Tuesday                     
self-denial -Wednesday and Friday
resignation and meekness -  Thursday
and thanksgiving - Saturday 



Heitzenrater, Richard P. (2013-08-20). Wesley and the People Called Methodists

ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore…...

SENDING PRAYER
Lord take my hand and lead my life. Give me courage, and bold love to live and forgive as you have done for me. Challenge me and affirm me as I live in response to Christ and in your powerful Spirit. I am yours Lord, use me to bring peace and grace to others. Amen


DAYTIME
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate
upon them and how they are affecting your day.

DAYTIME PRAYER
Father of balance and rest, I pause to praise you, re-engage with you,
experience your peace, love, and comfort. Silence my worries, my anxieties, and my mind. Guide me to see and embrace only those elements of my day, and life that are life-bringing and positive. Restore me, energize me, lead me in your Spirit. Amen

EVENING

Questions for Day that has Past 
It is important to reflect upon our day and where we may be more present
in our faith and more expressive in sharing what we know of God’s grace with others. These questions are in response to what God begins within us.
God is the force to which we respond.  We live in response
 to his love given through Christ.

Did I grow in my disciplines to prayer, scripture, and devotion to God?
Did I in some way put God and others before myself in how I lived today?
Did I live out the virtue of this day?
Did I love better today?
What do I regret today?
What will be my goal for tomorrow?


ABIDING IN THE SPIRIT*


EVENING PRAYER

The gauzy curtain of setting sun and growing darkness is drawn to end the day. The darkness is soon to consume the light. As I think of this day-your gift to me- I think of my thoughts, my actions, my attitudes, and choices. Father of all that is of love and goodness, forgive my failures, my selfishness, my hatred. Teach me to change and overcome my failures. I claim the gift of your forgiveness that comes with my repentance and the faith of Christ. Bring rest to my body and beauty to my mind as I sleep. So that I may awaken energized in your Spirit to live in full awareness to your forgiveness, direction, and grace. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home