Thursday, August 16, 2018

Listen to the Smell

August 12-29th

Morning
PRAYER
Morning haze and rainy drips slow my awareness of the day ahead. I seek my Lord to remain in sleep and warmth beneath the blankets. Inspire my awakening into your Spirit and Word to learn and be challenged to your direction and sculpting. I seek in my love for you to please you in this day as I live in your grace. Amen

Readings for Reflection
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

“Listen do you smell something?” Ephesians 4:25-5:2

    I love this quote from the movie Ghostbusters. But I ask you, do you smell something? In Ephesians, we are in our worship, commitment, kindness, and love an aroma to God. The burning of sacrificial meat upon the altar is a pleasing aroma to God. This leads me to believe our living sacrifices while not literally flayed upon a hibachi have an odor or are perceived by God as aromas and stenches. Imagine the slanderous and bitter words expelled from our mouths with the reek of waste. We certainly would know and those around us as well the destructiveness of our speech. We can’t always smell ourselves. We may need others to tell us that we need to bathe and get right with God. Our hearts have become foul and we need to brush our teeth in the Word of God. What is telling in this scripture is that our aim is to please God. It isn’t what we want to smell like. It isn’t about being pleasing to those around us. We are called instead to be a fragrance pleasing to God. So, dab Christ on your wrist and a little Jesus after you shave. Serve in love and kindness and be the aroma of love that covers the world in God’s grace. Listen to God and do what is right to smell like something beautiful.



Visio Divina
is a meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images.








What do your actions smell like?
 
Daily Scripture Reading
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.

Abiding in The Spirit
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore

Virtues to Live by
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How will you love God, neighbor, self more each day?

LOVE GOD,                LOVE NEIGHBOR
HUMILITY                  SELF- CONTROL
GENTLENESS             GRATITUDE

Gratitude is an appreciation of all that we are and have in our lives. It is being thankful for the sustaining abundance given by God, and the unseen grace given in the Spirit. It is a recognition of all that God is, does, and provides. How will you approach an attitude of thankfulness?


SENDING PRAYER
God, send me to do your will in all I say and do. Encourage my sight and understanding to see others in your compassion and mercy. Impart the words I need to share your love. Bless me in my day to be the aroma of grace. Amen



Afternoon
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day

PRAYER
Father, I pause. I center upon you, the scripture I have read today. I breathe and remember your hand upon me, your leading, your desires for me to become full in your grace. I am thankful for Christ, and Spirit.
I center, I pause, I wait upon you, Lord. Amen

Evening
To grow in faith and understanding of God, ourselves, and others it helps to evaluate ourselves, hold ourselves accountable, challenge ourselves. In your personal growth in faith and Christian action evaluate how you lived in love of God, others, and self today.

Prayer              Scripture          Service                       Compassion
Worship           Forgiveness     Commitment   Repentance


Abiding in The Spirit*

PRAYER

Father, the gift of this day has passed so quickly. Moments have lingered, and others have flashed without notice. I consider this day and my responses in it. I consider my attitudes, my actions, my words. I consider my devotion and commitment to you, others, in light of my own selfishness. I consider your love for me. My unworthiness, and my eagerness to receive it. Lord of my life, I pray in awareness, repentance, and for forgiveness. I seek to live in a brighter love and braver witness as the day begins tomorrow. I pray you seek to provide dreams of love and wonder as I sleep. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home