Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Don't Feed The Dog Under The Table

September 9-16th, 2018

Morning
PRAYER
Lord of the morning, I pray as this day begins in my love for you. I seek you and desire to know your presence and strength. Heal me of my worries and woes and set me on a path of light and beauty. Open my mind to understanding your Word and the Way for life. Amen

Visio Divina
is a meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images







Are you waiting for something?
What crumbs do you need from Jesus?
What does the Dog’s gaze bring to your thoughts?
How do you understand your relationship with God through this picture?


Readings for Reflection
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Dogs Under the Table  Mark 7: 24-37

26The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.27“First let the children eat all they want,” he told her, “for it is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
28“Lord,” she replied, “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”29Then he told her, “For such a reply, you may go; the demon has left your daughter.”30She went home and found her child lying on the bed, and the demon was gone.

Hey! Did Jesus just call that woman an unworthy dog? Yes, but a loved family pet. Jesus is not saying the Gentile people will not receive the blessing of grace. He is saying Israel will receive the blessing first. The real-world application here is fantastic. The dogs receive the dinner scraps when the meal is over. But we all know that our pups receive the crumbs and goodies given by children while the meal is being eaten.  A dropped bit here, a Brussel sprout there.  Jesus’ ministry will include his bread of life given primarily to the Hebrew people first. But like our woman, today and the Centurion Jesus will feed them morsels until the resurrection when it will be time for all the pups to eat at Christ’s banquet table. Ann

Daily Scripture Reading
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.

Abiding in The Spirit

           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore

Virtues to Live by
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How will you love God, neighbor, and self more each day?

LOVE GOD,                LOVE NEIGHBOR
HUMILITY                  SELF- CONTROL
GENTLENESS             GRATITUDE

Self-control is the ability to wait, place ourselves next and set the needs of others before our own wants. It is guiding what we say and what we do knowing we are the image of God.


SENDING PRAYER
Father take me into this day with boldness and joy. Lead me in my faith to share and serve those I encounter today. Protect me and challenge me as I seek to do your will and provide others with your love in how I live. Amen

Afternoon
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day
PRAYER
I take this time to wait in your Holy Presence. Father calm my spirit and bring focus to my mind. Release me of the unnecessary burdens I carry today. Let me concentrate on those things that are life-bringing and encouraging in my life, work, relationships, and heart. Amen

Evening
To grow in faith and understanding of God, ourselves, and others it helps to evaluate ourselves, hold ourselves accountable, challenge ourselves. In your personal growth in faith and Christian action evaluate how you lived in love of God, others, and self today.

Prayer              Scripture          Service                       Compassion
Worship           Forgiveness     Commitment   Repentance

Abiding in The Spirit*
PRAYER
Lord the night approaches quickly as autumn hesitates in the heat of this week. The beans are bringing a yellow cast to the field. Father as the day dims I pray you cast upon me the light of grace and forgiveness. Set me into the night with peace and rest held within your love. Guide my dreams in beauty and grace and awaken my soul to the fullness of your glory and mercy. Amen


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home