Thursday, September 27, 2018

Salted With Fire

September 30-October 7, 2018

Morning
PRAYER
Lord I arise into this day of your making and am blessed with all that surrounds me. I enter into this time of prayer and Word with reservation and excitement. What will I learn, what will you ask of me today? Teach me, guide me, restore me, that I may be and do what you need of me today. Open my eyes and heart to know you and see you and those I must encounter. Amen

Visio Divina
is a meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images









Readings for Reflection
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Salted with Fire    Mark 9:38-50

Salt and fire get a great deal of attention in the Bible. Fire is symbolic of the presence of God, the Holy Spirit, and refinement or discipline. Salt represents our character, the Holy Spirit/grace, preservation, hospitality, and our unending covenant with God.
It seems that scholars do not all agree on the meaning of “everyone will be salted with fire”(Mark 9:49). Some believe it is a warning of punishment and others a statement of grace. And still, others contest it means both.
I have reservations about being pelted with fire. It seems an unpleasant undertaking, so Jesus must be using a metaphor to explain God’ actions.
We all need refinement through the fire that cleanses and removes the dross from our souls. It is even better to be salted and seasoned with grace so as to continue in our refinement through Christ’s sacrifice and faith. Whether I need to be seasoned with the fire of discipline or warmed in the fires of the Holy Spirit, I know it is all of God’s love and hope.  Ann
Daily Scripture Reading
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.


Abiding in The Spirit
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore
Prayers of Intercession
pray for those who are upon your heart. Lift them up to God and his mercy, compassion, and love.
Virtues to Live by
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How will you  love God, neighbor, self more each day?

LOVE GOD,                LOVE NEIGHBOR
HUMILITY                  SELF- CONTROL
GENTLENESS             GRATITUDE


SENDING PRAYER
Divine presence, you refresh and strengthen my soul. You inspire my heart and my life to serve you by helping others. Guide me in your grace and love to live and grow in faith and service today. Amen

Afternoon
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day

PRAYER
God of peace, I pause and take in all that is around me. With eyes closed I hear the beauty of your world. The birds are singing, and the breeze is whispering through the corn. Crows cry from far away and I hear the sounds of traffic and all who are busy in their day. As I open my eyes flood my soul with the sight of your blessings and warm my heart in your grace that I may live within your beauty and shine with love for those around me. Amen.

Evening
To grow in faith and understanding of God, ourselves, and others it helps to evaluate ourselves, hold ourselves accountable, challenge ourselves. In your personal growth in faith and Christian action evaluate how you lived in love of God, others, and self today.

Prayer              Scripture          Service                       Compassion
Worship           Forgiveness     Commitment   Repentance

Abiding in The Spirit*
PRAYER


Loving grace and mercy I come before you as the night gathers and the crickets sing. The fall evenings bring cool breezes and warm blankets. I think of the day past. I consider my victories and my failures. I set all that I am completely before you. I pray you grant me courage to change and rest to rejuvenate. Lead me into sleep with peace and warmth. Forgiven to start anew on the morrow. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home