Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Sent or Went?

September 16-23rd, 2018

Morning
PRAYER
Creator of day, light, love, and possibility, I gather all that I am to reach you, and know you, love you. Your beauty is always before me in the world around, and the word within. I am at times too small to understand, and often too big to listen. This day guide my spirit upheld in your Spirit to learn and grow to embrace my small moments as victorious. Amen

Visio Divina
is a meditative/prayer practice that opens the heart and soul to connect with God through images




Take time to consider this image.
Where do you want to stand in line?
What does God teach us about status?
Are there things you need to consider about standing in line?

Readings for Reflection
Use an additional resource like the Upper Room or any devotionals you prefer.

Sent or Went    Mark 9:30-37
     When I was teaching pre-school we encouraged all the children to have jobs. We had to be creative in making up tasks so everyone could participate. We had jobs that ranged from announcing the weather to gathering up the leavings of lunchtime. The coveted job was always line-leader. Farther down the line, literally, was being the caboose.
     Why are we still defining our worth by where we stand in line? We all know that being a leader or caboose is important. The train doesn’t work the same without both. The engineer may control the speed, but the caboose operator collected the mail and was the eyes at the back of the train.
     I am thinking followers in the pack all have the same view. Yup. The view of the leader at the top being sent to the back. Those who get too big for themselves, find themselves often humbled at the bottom. We love the stories of the big meanies being set straight by the underdog.
     In our scripture, Jesus is telling us that we should go to the back of the line to serve, and witness, and help. Choosing to go is an act of love and charity. The back of the line that willingly serves sets things straight, keeps things tidy and ready for the next group. It is different to go and serve as a proud caboose than be sent to the back of the line in shame. Ann

Daily Scripture Reading
You may also like Lectio Divina a focused reading and meditation of scripture.

Abiding in The Spirit
           * Find your quiet center, empty your mind, and be present to hear the voice of God. Color, write in a journal, listen to music, use prayer beads to help your focus. Concentrate upon what God is calling you to understand, change, make, explore
Prayers of Intercession
pray for those who are upon your heart. Lift them up to God and his mercy, compassion, and love.
Virtues to Live by
Consider what you can do to live out each virtue this week. How will you  love God, neighbor, self more each day?
LOVE GOD,                LOVE NEIGHBOR
HUMILITY                  SELF- CONTROL
GENTLENESS             GRATITUDE

Being grateful and thankful is a way of living in appreciation to love and grace. Consider a blessing prayer in which you list all your blessed moments, encounters, gifts, relationships, food, home, love, mercy, forgiveness,...

SENDING PRAYER
The day stands before me as a blank canvas, an empty page, a ball of yarn, an expanse of time. Lead me in my living, my creating, my working, my serving. Guide me that all I paint upon the day, the words I share, the work of my hands, and all my hours that it is all of beauty, and love, helpfulness, and mercy. Amen

Afternoon
Set a reminder to pray throughout the day. Embrace the breath of prayer, release your burdens, be thankful. Recall today’s readings, the Visio Divina and meditate upon them and how they are affecting your day

PRAYER
God of my moments, my breath, my heart, I rest in your Holy Spirit. I collect my thoughts and refocus my energies. Am I the love and beauty I pray to become? Send beyond this time of pausing to reengage with grace and in the love of Christ. That I will be the witness of your compassion in the world around. Amen

Evening
To grow in faith and understanding of God, ourselves, and others it helps to evaluate ourselves, hold ourselves accountable, challenge ourselves. In your personal growth in faith and Christian action evaluate how you lived in love of God, others, and self today.

Prayer              Scripture          Service                       Compassion
Worship           Forgiveness     Commitment   Repentance

Abiding in The Spirit*
PRAYER


Lord of all, I am humbled by this day and my place within it. I lay before you with every exhalation my disappointments, my losses, my regrets, my sorrows. Take from me all that clings and claws at my heart. Strengthen me, forgive me, lead me, love me. I seek you in my heart, and in my thoughts to live fully your Word and Grace. Bring me rest and dreams of softness and sweetness that I may arise in the morn refreshed and prepared to serve you with all that I am. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home